Monday, July 28, 2008

יא כִּי כָלוּ בְיָגוֹן, חַיַּי-- וּשְׁנוֹתַי בַּאֲנָחָה:כָּשַׁל בַּעֲו‍ֹנִי כֹחִי; וַעֲצָמַי עָשֵׁשׁוּ.

For my life is spent in sorrow, and my years in sighing; my strength faileth because of mine iniquity, and my bones are wasted away. (Psalm 31:10)

My living, becoming, restoration...

is completed, fulfilled, accomplished...

in grief and anguish...

And my appointed time, measure, lifetime...

with groans and mourning;

Power, might, potential...

stumbles, staggers, totters...

because of bending, twisting, distorting;

Bone, essence, substance...

is consumed, fails, falters.

Can we read - should we read - that grief is a path to fulfillment? It was for Jesus.

We so often seek to avoid sorrows. Is this a distorting of reality?

Are we called to embrace the sorrows of this world as a means of resurrection (chayay)?

No comments: