Sunday, July 27, 2008



י חָנֵּנִי יְהוָה, כִּי צַר-לִי:עָשְׁשָׁה בְכַעַס עֵינִי; נַפְשִׁי וּבִטְנִי

Be gracious unto me, O Lord, for I am in distress; mine eye wasteth away with vexation, yea, my soul and my body. (Psalm 31: 9)

Abide, dwell, be with me, if necessary besiege me...

Existing one, past-present-future, I am what I am, ultimate reality...

I am bound up, constrained, shut up, confined to a tight place.

My seeing, insight, perception, fountain of life...

And my motivation, passion, fundamental self...

And my physical health, strength, gut...

Have been consumed, undermined, exhausted, expended, broken...

By anger, provocation, bitterness, indignation, frustration.

There is external cause, we are often provoked. But even more important is our internal response. Do we react in anger and indignation? Or do we find a more creative response?

Above is the flogging of Jesus from Les Belles Heures.

No comments: